If you’re searching for the perfect comfort food that combines the heartiness of chicken with the warm, comforting flavors of dressing, you’re in for a treat. Our Chicken and Dressing Casserole is a culinary masterpiece that’s easy to prepare and will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. Whether you’re cooking for your family on a cozy weekend evening or hosting a dinner party, this casserole is sure to impress. So, let’s dive into the details of this mouthwatering dish, step by step.
Who is this Recipe For?
This Chicken and Dressing Casserole is a crowd-pleaser, perfect for:
- Families: A wholesome dish that kids and adults alike will love.
- Busy Individuals: It’s easy to prepare and can be made in advance, making it a great option for those with a hectic schedule.
- Foodies: If you appreciate the rich, comforting flavors of Southern cuisine, this casserole is a must-try.
Why It’s Great
What makes this Chicken and Dressing Casserole truly exceptional is the harmonious blend of ingredients and flavors. The combination of tender chicken, savory dressing, and a creamy, flavorful gravy is simply irresistible. Plus, it’s a versatile recipe that can be customized to your taste, whether you prefer it with a little extra sage or a touch of spice.
Let’s break down the key elements that make this dish stand out:
1. Perfectly Seasoned Chicken
Starting with four cups of shredded chicken ensures that your casserole is packed with protein and flavor. The poultry seasoning and dried sage add depth and warmth, elevating the taste to another level.
2. Hearty Dressing
The heart of this casserole is the cornbread or dried bread stuffing. It provides that wonderful comforting texture and taste that dressing is known for. The addition of chopped celery and onions provides a delightful crunch and aromatic flavor.
3. Creamy Gravy
The velvety gravy takes this dish from delicious to heavenly. It’s a blend of unsalted butter, chicken broth, heavy cream, and flour, seasoned to perfection. The gravy adds moisture and flavor to the casserole, tying all the ingredients together.
Kitchen Equipment You’ll Need
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s make sure you have the necessary kitchen equipment on hand:
- 9 x 13-inch baking dish
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board and knife
Now that you’re ready, let’s get cooking!
4 cups shredded chicken
4 cups cornbread or other cubed dried bread
⅓ cup chopped celery
1 cup onion chopped
1 can cream of Onion soup
1 ½ cups chicken broth
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp dried sage
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup unsalted butter
2 cups chicken broth
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste] and [FIRST STEP:
Preheat the oven to 375*
Put the butter into a skillet on medium high heat and let it melt
Step 1: Preheat and Saute
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the chopped onions and celery to the skillet and sauté until they soften and become aromatic.
Step 2: Mix and Grease
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread (or dried bread), shredded chicken, sautéed vegetables, dried sage, poultry seasoning, cream of onion soup, and 1 cup of chicken broth. Mix thoroughly to ensure all ingredients are well combined.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
Step 3: Bake
- Spread the mixture evenly in the greased baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is cooked through.
Step 4: Prepare the Gravy
- In a skillet, melt 1/4 cup of unsalted butter.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour and whisk to create a roux. Cook until it begins to brown slightly.
- Gradually whisk in some of the remaining chicken broth, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to simmer until the gravy thickens.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of heavy cream and simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 5: Serve and Garnish
- Once the casserole is out of the oven, pour the creamy gravy over the top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or green onions for a burst of freshness and color.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Shortcut: To save time, you can use rotisserie chicken and pre-made cornbread stuffing mix.
- Recipe Swap: Swap out the cream of onion soup for cream of chicken or cream of mushroom for a different flavor twist.
- Spicy Kick: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the gravy for some heat.
Can I make this casserole in advance?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake. Just be sure to allow for some extra baking time if it’s coming straight from the fridge.
How should I store leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave for a quick and delicious meal.
For a complete meal, consider serving this Chicken and Dressing Casserole with:
- Green Beans: A side of steamed or roasted green beans adds a pop of color and freshness.
- Cranberry Sauce: The sweet-tartness of cranberry sauce complements the richness of the casserole beautifully.
- Chardonnay: If you enjoy wine, a glass of chardonnay pairs wonderfully with this dish.