When the weather turns chilly or you’re simply craving a comforting and satisfying meal, Vegetable Beef Soup is the perfect choice. This hearty soup is packed with tender beef, an array of vibrant vegetables, and flavorful herbs and spices. With its rich broth and wholesome ingredients, Vegetable Beef Soup warms both the body and the soul. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of making this delicious soup, along with some helpful tips and serving suggestions. Get ready to cozy up and savor the flavors of this comforting classic!
To make Vegetable Beef Soup, gather the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and chopped carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 medium stalks)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound red or yellow potatoes, chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green beans (trim ends first)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Pat the beef stew meat dry with paper towels and season it with salt and pepper. Add half of the beef to the pot and brown it for about 4 minutes, turning it halfway through. Transfer the browned beef to a plate. Add another 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the pot and repeat the process with the remaining half of the beef.
- In the now empty pot, add another 1 tablespoon of oil, then add the chopped onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté the vegetables for about 3 minutes, then add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Pour in the beef broth (or chicken broth), diced tomatoes (with their juices), browned beef, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice throughout.
- Add the chopped potatoes to the pot and continue to simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. If you prefer softer green beans, you can also add them with the potatoes.
- Stir in the chopped green beans and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until all the vegetables and beef are tender.
- Pour in the frozen corn and peas and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve the Vegetable Beef Soup warm and enjoy the comforting flavors and nourishment it provides.
- For an extra flavor boost, you can brown the beef stew meat in batches over higher heat. This caramelizes the meat and adds depth to the overall taste of the soup.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables of your choice, such as diced bell peppers or zucchini, to customize the soup to your liking.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your taste preferences. You can add more herbs and spices, such as bay leaves or smoked paprika, for additional depth of flavor.
Vegetable Beef Soup is a complete meal in itself, but you can enhance the dining experience with a few delightful accompaniments. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve the soup with warm, crusty bread or homemade dinner rolls for dipping and sopping up the delicious broth.
- Add a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkle of grated cheese on top of each serving to add a creamy and tangy element.
- Pair the soup with a fresh green salad dressed with a light vinaigrette to add a refreshing contrast.
Vegetable Beef Soup is the epitome of comfort food. With its tender beef, wholesome vegetables, and aromatic herbs and spices, it’s a satisfying and nourishing choice for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a comforting meal on a cold day or a flavorful dish to enjoy with loved ones, Vegetable Beef Soup fits the bill. Make a big batch and savor the flavors throughout the week. Share this recipe with family and friends, and don’t forget to subscribe to our blog for more delicious recipes. Stay cozy and enjoy the heartwarming goodness of Vegetable Beef Soup!