Are you a fan of cinnamon rolls but find the process of making them a bit time-consuming? Look no further! We have a delightful recipe that combines the flavors of a traditional cinnamon roll with the convenience of a cake.
Introducing the Sweet Potato Cinnamon Roll Cake, a mouthwatering treat that will impress your family and friends. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of creating this delectable dessert. So, grab your apron, and let’s get started!
Who Is This Recipe For?
The Sweet Potato Cinnamon Roll Cake is perfect for those who love the taste of cinnamon rolls but prefer a simpler and quicker baking process. Whether you’re a novice baker or an experienced chef, this recipe is a delightful addition to your repertoire.
The cake is moist, flavorful, and topped with a luscious glaze, making it an excellent choice for dessert, breakfast, or brunch. It’s also a fantastic option for potlucks, parties, or any gathering where you want to impress your guests with a unique and delicious treat.
- 13×9 inch baking pan
- Mixing bowls
- Whisk or fork
- Knife for swirling the topping
- Food processor (for blending sweet potatoes)
If you happen to have any leftovers (which is rare because it’s so delicious), you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. For longer storage, refrigerate the cake for up to a week. To reheat, simply warm individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds.
The Sweet Potato Cinnamon Roll Cake pairs perfectly with a warm cup of coffee or tea, making it an ideal breakfast or brunch treat.
If you want to elevate your dessert game, serve it with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream or a dollop of freshly whipped cream. The combination of warm, moist cake with a cold, creamy topping is simply heavenly!
For the Cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the Pecan Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 13×9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Make the Cake Batter: In a KitchenAid stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, beat the sweet potatoes and milk until smooth. Add the beaten eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well until combined.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- Mix Dry Ingredients with Wet: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the sweet potato mixture, mixing just until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Add Melted Butter: Drizzle the melted butter into the batter and fold it in gently until well incorporated.
- Pour and Prepare for Topping: Pour the batter into the prepared 9×13 inch pan. Smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Prepare the Cinnamon Sugar Topping: In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour until well combined. Drop this mixture in small dollops evenly over the batter.
- Create the Swirl: Using a knife, gently swirl the cinnamon sugar topping through the cake batter to create a marbled effect, mimicking the look of a cinnamon roll.
- Bake: Place the cake in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool: Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven. Let it cool in the pan for about 20 minutes to set properly.
- Prepare the Pecan Glaze: While the cake is cooling, prepare the glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and chopped pecans until smooth.
- Glaze the Cake: Drizzle the pecan glaze over the slightly warm cake, allowing it to seep into the cake and set on top.
- Serve: Allow the glaze to set for a few minutes before slicing the cake. Serve and enjoy this delightful twist on a classic cinnamon roll in cake form!