When it comes to burgers, there’s no shortage of delicious variations to try. One such gem hailing from Oklahoma is the Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger. This unique creation takes the classic burger and elevates it with a mouthwatering twist – caramelized, crispy onions. If you’re a burger aficionado or simply craving a delectable and satisfying meal, this recipe is for you.
A Taste of Oklahoma Tradition
Oklahoma is known for its rich culinary history, and the Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger is a testament to that heritage. This burger was born out of necessity during the Great Depression when meat was scarce, but the craving for a hearty meal was ever-present. The solution was to incorporate thinly sliced onions into the beef patty, creating a flavorful and satisfying burger that remains popular to this day.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before you get started, make sure you have the following ingredients on hand:
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4-8 slices American cheese
- Mayo, mustard, and pickles for serving
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
Directions for an Irresistible Burger
Step 1: Prepare the Onions
- Start by peeling, halving, and thinly slicing the large onion. Season it with a teaspoon of salt and a dash of pepper, then toss to combine.
- Transfer the seasoned onions to a colander and let them sit for about 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. This resting period allows the onions to release excess moisture.
- After 30 minutes, transfer the onions to a clean dish towel. Gather the edges of the towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the onions. Be prepared for a fair amount of liquid.
Step 2: Shape the Patties
- Divide the drained onions into four separate mounds on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Take the ground beef and form it into four lightly packed balls. Place these beef balls on top of the onion mounds. Using your palm, flatten the beef firmly so that the onion adheres to the beef. Each patty should measure approximately 4 inches in diameter. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Cook to Perfection
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt the butter along with the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Using a large spatula, carefully transfer the prepared patties to the skillet, onion side down. Cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions turn a deep golden brown and start to crisp around the edges.
- Flip the burgers, then increase the heat to high and cook for about 2 more minutes or until well browned on the second side.
- Top each burger with 1 or 2 slices of American cheese and allow it to melt, creating that irresistible gooey goodness.
Step 4: Assemble and Serve
- While the cheese is melting, prepare the top buns by adding mayo, mustard, and pickles. Once the cheese is perfectly melted, place each burger on the bottom buns.
- Your Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger is now ready to be served. Enjoy it immediately while it’s at its tastiest!
Additional Tips and Variations
- Make It Spicy: If you like a bit of heat, consider adding some sliced jalapeños or a drizzle of hot sauce.
- Customize Your Toppings: Get creative with your toppings. Avocado, bacon, or even a fried egg can take your burger to the next level.
- Grill It: While this recipe calls for skillet cooking, you can also throw these burgers on the grill for that authentic smoky flavor.