Are you ready to embark on a delightful culinary journey that’s both easy and incredibly satisfying? If you’re a fan of scrumptious cakes with a twist, then you’re in for a treat! Today, we’re diving into the world of the “Do Nothing Tornado Cake.” Despite its whimsical name.
This cake is simple at its finest, making it perfect for busy bakers and dessert enthusiasts alike. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps to create this heavenly dessert, share some handy tips and variations, and even suggest some fantastic food pairings. So, let’s get our aprons on and start baking!
Who Is the Do Nothing Tornado Cake For?
The Do Nothing Tornado Cake is for anyone who craves a delicious homemade dessert without the fuss of complicated recipes. Whether you’re an experienced baker looking for a quick treat or a novice eager to impress, this cake is the answer. Busy parents, college students, and dessert lovers of all ages will appreciate the simplicity and fantastic flavours this cake brings to the table.
Kitchen Equipment You’ll Need
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s make sure your kitchen is well-equipped. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 9×13″ Baking Pan
- Mixing Bowls
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
The Recipe: Do Nothing Tornado Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 20oz can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and generously grease your 9×13″ baking pan with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking soda, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and the entire can of crushed pineapple. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared baking pan, spreading it out evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke several holes evenly across the surface of the cake.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the salted butter, granulated sugar, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, add the chopped pecans and sweetened coconut flakes. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the topping thickens slightly.
- When the cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and immediately pour the warm topping evenly over the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool for a bit before slicing and serving. It’s heavenly when served warm, but equally delicious when chilled!
- Don’t be shy with the topping! It’s the star of the show, so pour it generously over the cake.
- If you’re not a fan of pecans, you can easily swap them out for walnuts or omit them altogether for a nut-free version.
- For a tropical twist, consider adding a handful of maraschino cherries to the topping. It’ll add a pop of colour and flavour.
- This cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. Alternatively, refrigerate it for a longer shelf life.