Welcome to my kitchen, where simplicity meets comfort! Today, I have a mouthwatering recipe that will warm your soul and tantalize your taste buds—Slow Cooker Green Beans, Ham, and Potatoes.
This one-pot wonder combines tender green beans, succulent ham, and creamy potatoes into a harmonious symphony of flavors. It’s the perfect dish for those seeking a wholesome and effortless meal that will leave everyone asking for seconds.
Who is This Recipe For?
Slow Cooker Green Beans, Ham, and Potatoes is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a hearty and delicious meal with minimal preparation and maximum flavor. It’s a family-friendly dish that can be enjoyed by all, from busy individuals craving a comforting home-cooked meal to those hosting gatherings and seeking a crowd-pleasing recipe. With its combination of protein, vegetables, and starch, it offers a well-rounded and satisfying dining experience.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s ensure we have all the necessary kitchen equipment at hand:
- Slow cooker or Crock-Pot
- Knife for chopping the onion
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Slotted spoon for serving
Now that we’re well-equipped, let’s move on to the star of the show—the ingredients!
Tips and Variations
- If you prefer a smokier flavor, substitute smoked ham hocks for regular ham hocks.
- For added depth of flavor, sauté the chopped onion in a skillet before adding it to the slow cooker. This step enhances the aroma and taste of the dish.
- Feel free to customize the seasoning according to your taste preferences. Consider adding herbs like thyme, rosemary, or bay leaves to elevate the flavors.
- To add a touch of brightness, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the dish just before serving.
To create the delectable Slow Cooker Green Beans, Ham, and Potatoes, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
- 3 ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds new potatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Begin by halving the green beans if they are large. Place the green beans in the slow cooker, ensuring they are covered with water.
- Add the ham hocks and chopped onion to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat until simmering. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 to 3 hours until the beans are crisp but not fully done.
- Carefully remove the ham hocks from the slow cooker. Add the quartered new potatoes to the slow cooker and continue cooking on low heat for an additional 45 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, remove the meat from the ham hocks and chop or shred it. Return the meat to the slow cooker.
- Season the dish with chicken bouillon granules, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, and ground black pepper. Stir well to ensure the flavors are evenly distributed.
- Finally, use a slotted spoon to transfer the green beans, potatoes, and ham into a serving dish, leaving a bit of broth in the slow cooker to serve as a flavorful base.