Creamy Potato Soup is a hearty and comforting dish, perfect for those chilly days or whenever you’re in the mood for a rich and satisfying meal. This soup combines the earthy flavors of potatoes with the smoothness of cream, creating a delightful blend of textures and tastes. Here’s a simple recipe to make your own delicious creamy potato soup:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: chopped chives, grated cheese, crumbled bacon
- Prepare the Vegetables: In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic, sautéing until the onions are translucent.
- Cook the Potatoes: Add the diced potatoes to the pot and stir to mix with the onions. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, ensuring the potatoes are completely submerged. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Blend the Soup: Once the potatoes are soft, use an immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can carefully transfer the mixture to a regular blender in batches.
- Add Cream and Seasonings: Return the pureed soup to the pot if you used a regular blender. Stir in the heavy cream, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat the soup through, but do not let it boil after adding the cream.
- Serve: Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with your choice of chopped chives, grated cheese, or crumbled bacon.
Enjoy your creamy potato soup as a cozy meal on its own or paired with a fresh salad or crusty bread for a more filling feast!