Welcome, fellow food enthusiasts, to a delightful journey through the world of baking! Today, I’m excited to share with you a recipe that combines the comforting flavors of banana bread with the rich, indulgent texture of brownies.
This Banana Bread brownie recipe is perfect for anyone looking for a unique twist on classic desserts. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting, this recipe is sure to impress.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Banana Bread Brownies are the perfect treat for those who love the sweet aroma of bananas and the dense, chocolatey goodness of brownies. This recipe is incredibly easy to follow and offers a mouth-watering result that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether it’s a cozy family gathering, a potluck with friends, or just a treat for yourself, these brownies are sure to be a hit.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- A 9×13 inch baking pan
- Non-stick cooking spray
- A large bowl
- An electric mixer (or a whisk)
- A spatula
- A large skillet (for the frosting)
- Measuring cups and spoons
Tips, Shortcuts, and Variations
- Ripe Bananas: The riper the bananas, the better! They add natural sweetness and a robust banana flavor.
- Yogurt Substitute: No Greek yogurt? Sour cream works just as well for a moist texture.
- Nutty Addition: Feel free to add chopped walnuts or pecans for an extra crunch.
- Chocolate Chips: For chocolate lovers, mix in a handful of chocolate chips into the batter.
Leftover Banana Bread Brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerated for up to a week. They also freeze well for up to 3 months.
Banana Bread Brownies
For the Banana Bread Bars:
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For the Brown Butter Frosting:
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the granulated sugar and softened butter. Add the Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and eggs, mixing well. Incorporate the mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
- Gently mix in the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring just until the batter is moistened. (Optional: You can add chopped walnuts or chocolate chips at this stage for extra texture and flavor).
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 23-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- While the banana bread bars are baking, prepare the brown butter frosting. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Allow it to simmer until it turns a light brown color and emits a nutty aroma. Be vigilant to avoid burning the butter.
- Remove the skillet from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon of milk until smooth. Adjust the consistency by adding more powdered sugar or milk if necessary.
- Once the banana bread bars are baked and still warm, pour the warm frosting over them. Spread gently with the back of a spoon.
- Allow the frosted banana bread brownies to cool before slicing and serving.